Prospective CAD Majors

*Fall 2016 Applications to CAD Major Currently Being Accepted - Application period is Oct. 1-Nov. 30, 2015

See instructions below in section, "General Information About Applying to the CAD Major."  These instructions apply to both current SF State students who wish to change their major to CAD and Transfer students to SF State wh wish to apply to the CAD major 

 *Status of Spring 2016 - Change of Major Applications

Update on 11/12/15 - Change of Major applicants were informed of their application status last month. 

These applications are under review by the CAD Department Admissions Committee.  We hope to notify you of your admission status in the next week or two via your SFSU email address.  If you are admitted to the CAD major for Spring 2016, please plan to attend the New CAD Major Advising Workshop on Friday 6 November from 10:30-Noon in LIBRARY 244.

*Status of Spring 2016 - Transfer Student Applications

Update on 12/2/15  - The SF State Admissions Office has notified applicants of their application status.

Update on 11/19/15 - Admissions decisions are currently being sent to Transfer Student Applicants by the SF State Admissions Office.  Please contact that office if you have any questions. 

Update on 11/12/15 - Transfer applications are currently under department review.  We plan to complete this review by early next week and will send our recommendations to the SF State Admissions Office at that time.

These applications are under review by the SF State Admissions Office to determine eligibility to attend the university.  In a month or so, the CAD Department will receive the list of applicants who were admitted to the university AND who applied to the CAD major. When we receive this list, the CAD Department Admissions Committee will review the applicants to determine admission to the major.  We will update this message when we receive this list of applicants from the Admissions Office.

General Information About Applying to the CAD Major 

The CAD Department accepts only upper division students into the major, which means junior status with a minimum of 60 units completed.  Applicants who were accepted into the CAD major for a specific semester but failed to reach junior status at the start of that semester will be dropped from the major (effective Spring 2016).

In addition, applicants must have completed the following prerequisites for the major: CAD 210 Intro to Applied Child and Adolescent Development and CAD 260 Child, Family, and Community with a grade of C or better and ENG 214 Second Year Composition with a C- or better.  Applicants who were accepted into the major for the start of a specific semster but failed to complete these three courses successfully and without earning a minimum of 60 units, will be dropped from the major.  Please note:  Successfully completed community college equivalents for CAD210, CAD 260, and ENG 214 are accepted.


CURRENT SF State Students (also known as Change of Majors) - This information applies to current SF State students who wish change their major to CAD.  Pre-CAD students  will use this process to apply to the CAD major.  Applications to the CAD major can be submitted using the following form: Declaration/Change of Undergraduate Primary Major (less than 96 units completed).  See link below.  Be sure to state the concentration for which you are applying.  Current unofficial transcripts should be attached to the Change of Major form.  No supplemental application is required by the CAD Department.  The application period for fall semester admissions is October 1 through November 30, and the application period for spring semester admissions is August 1-31.  Check the university Admissions website to verify dates.  Drop off completed forms with current transcripts at the CAD Department office in SCI 394.  Late applications are not accepted.

The admission criterium for Change of Majors is primarily grade point average.  Students who have completed a two year Metro Academy Program at SF State receive credit for that participation.  The CAD Department notifies applicants of their admission status via SF State email address only. 

TRANSFER Students - Please see Undergraduate Admissions for SFSU application form, dates and deadlines.  The application period for fall semester is October 1-November 30 and applications are submitted to the university Admissions Office.  Select CAD as your primary major.  No supplemental application is required by the CAD Department.  Transfer students who wish to apply for spring semester should follow the same process.  The application period for spring semester applicants is August 1-31.


After the application period has closed, the university Admissions Office reviews applications to determine who has met university admissions requirements to attend SF State.  When that process is complete, the CAD Department Admissions Committee receives a list of qualified transfer applicants from the Admissions Office. The CAD Department admissions criteria are grade point average, first generation college status, and financial need.  Once the department screening process has been completed, applicants are notified if they are admitted or not admitted to the CAD major by the university Admissions Office.  Applicants who are not admitted to CAD but were accepted to SF State are enrolled in their second choice major.

Please Note:  Current CAD majors who wish to change their concentrations can submit a Declaration/Change of Major form to the CAD Department office at any time.

The Change/Declaration of Major form is on the CAD website, Forms, or on the university Registrar's website.


Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When should I apply to the CAD Department  as a transfer student?

It depends upon the semester for which you are applying. If you want to transfer for a fall semester, plan to apply the previous October 1-November 30. This means you must apply to the university between Oct. 1- Nov. 30 of the previous year. If you want to apply for a spring semester, you will need to apply August 1-31.  

2. What are the requirements for admission to the CAD major as a transfer student?

Complete ENG 214 or equivalent with a grade of C- or better.
Complete CAD 210 and CAD 260 or equivalent with grade of C or better.

3. What are the requirements for admission to SF State as a transfer student?

  • Grade point average of at least 2.0 (C or better) in all transferable units attempted. Nonresidents must have a 2.4 grade point average or better. Note: Applicants from outside of SF State’s six county service area may be held to different requirements.
  • Good standing at last college or university attended
  • Completed at least 60 transferable semester units of college course work with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher
  • Grade of C or better in each course used to meet CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking and quantitative reasoning, e.g. mathematics.
  • The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses which meet CSU general education requirement including all general education requirements in communication in English language - one course in written communication, one course in oral communication, and one course in critical thinking; and one course in mathematics/quantitative reasoning OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

4. Can I transfer to SF State before I earn upper division status? 

No. SF State does not accept lower division transfer students.

5. What is the maximum number of units I can transfer to SFSU?

No more than 70 semester units may be transferred to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, e.g., community colleges. Given the university’s 30-unit residency requirement, no more than 90 total units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

6. How can I double check to see which of my community college General Education courses will transfer to SF State?

General Education:  General education requirements are the same for all CSU campuses, so California community college articulations of general education courses (about one third of degree requirements) are handled centrally and may be accessed at

7. What is articulation?

Articulation:  Campuses may enter into articulation agreements on either a course for course or program to program basis. Such articulations are common between CSU campuses and any or all of the California community colleges, but may exist between CSU campuses and other institutions. Established CSU/CCC articulations may be found on

8. Will my math and English courses from community college count?

Upper-division transfer students who have completed transferable English composition and college-level math courses with a grade of C or better are exempt from the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM). Upper-division transfer students must complete both English composition and college level mathematics prior to enrolling at a CSU campus.

The following information also is available at the following link: