CAD Advising

 CAD Advising will return in the fall 2018 semester.


Important Links Below:

Advising Basics

SFSU Current Bulletin Year


Child Development Permit Matrix
 - EC Concentration

Teaching Credential

Transfer Orientation PPT

Graduation Requirements for Undergraduates

GE Courses by Area


Advising Basics

Scheduling An Appointment

You may stop by our office (Sci 394), email us at or give us a call at 415.405.3564. 
We do not make multiple advising appointments

Cancelling An Appointment

Because of the great need for advising, the CAD department is reinforcing its policies on advising.  Please notify the office 24 hours in advance when cancelling your appointment.
Contact Information: or 415.405.3564
Don't be a no-show.  We will put a note in your file if you do not come to a scheduled appointment.  Why? Because that is time another student could have seen an advisor.

Length of Advising Appointment

Each appointment is 20 minutes long.  Be sure to arrive 5 minutes early and pick up your advising folder in the main office, SCI 394.  If you are late, your appointment will be shortened to the time that remains of your 20 minutes, or you may have to reschedule another appointment.

Which Advisor Should I See

The CAD department does not assign students to a specific advisor.  You may sign up for an advisor whose schedule matches your availability or an advisor who specializes in your concentration.

How Often Should I See An Advisor

We recommend once a semester to ensure steady progress through the major.

When Is The Best Time To See An Advisor

Any time you need guidance regarding courses in the major, your progress in the major, your grades, your career plans, or graduate school.  The easiest time to get an appointment is during the middle of the semester.  The busiest times (and therefore the most difficult to get an appointment) are at the beginning and end of the semester after the new schedule of classes has come out.

What Should I Bring To My Appointment

  • Current Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) or DRS – You can print it out ahead of time or it can be accessed during your advising appointment.
  • Unofficial transcripts of credit you have received from another institution, if not on your DARS. Examples are college courses, AP credits, military credit.
  • Advanced Standing Evaluation (ASE) if you have one.   The ASE is generated when a student has attended a non-DARS compatible institution. You can get a copy of your ASE at the Registrar's office; it is not available on line.
  • List of questions
  • Paper and pen for note taking, or print out an advising worksheet (for both core and concentration for your Bulletin year)

Can I Substitute Courses in the Major

Only with permission from the department. Use the Course Substitution Petition form to request  a course substitution.  (Click for the Course Substitution form.)  Be sure to fill out the form completely and attach requested documents or your petition will not be reviewed and/or signed by the department chair.


CAD Core/Concentration Planning Sheet

Click on the link for your CAD concentration and Bulletin year for appropriate CAD Core/Concentration Planning Sheet. Print out and bring to advising appointment.


2016 - 2017

2015 - 2016

2014 - 2015

2013 – 2014

2012 – 2013

2011 – 2012


Child Development Permit Matrix

Click here to access information about the Permit Matrix on the Child development Training Consortium website.

Click on each link for each Child Development Permit Matrix - for EC concentration.


Teaching Credential

Click on the link for more information:


Transfer Orientation PPT

Click here for the powerpoint presentation:  /sites/default/files/Transfer%20Orientation%201-%20Sp2014.ppt


Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact