The internship is a culminating academic experience that is required for all CAD majors during their final semester before graduation. In other words, you must be a senior in your last semester as an undergraduate at SF State. The internship includes a seminar, CAD 600 (1 unit), and field work, CAD 601 (2 units). The seminar and fieldwork must be taken concurrently in the fall or spring semesters.
Students must apply for the internship one semester prior to their desired internship semester. Departmental approval of the application is required before a student can be placed at an internship site.
A CAD intern represents SF State, the CAD Department, and one's current/future profession. During the placement process as well as throughout the internship, students are expected to display professional behavior at all times.
All sites must be approved by the Institute of Civic & Community Engagement (ICCE), the positions can be paid or with current employers if students are able to work a minimum of 8+ hours per week and meet the required hours for the internship.
|Age Groups||K-5th Grade||K-12th Grade & Transitional Youth||0-5 years-old|
|Sites||Public & Private Elementary Schools in the classroom; Afterschool/Enrichment programs||Afterschool/Enrichment programs; Juvenile Justice; Recreation & Parks; Residential Treatment; Social Services; Mental Health; and Public Health Agencies||Children's Campus @ SF State; AS ECEC @ SF State; licensed Early Care & Education programs|
Students must complete a minimum of 120 hours across 12-16 weeks of the academic semester.
- One semester before your intended internship, check the CAD website for specific deadlines and directions for applying for the internship.
Complete the following course and internship prerequisites prior to the start of your internship:
- At least 30 units in the major with C or better grades
The major foundation courses:
- CAD 210
- CAD 260
- CAD 410
- CAD 215 or CAD 230 *CAD Early Childhood students only*
- 150 hours at a licensed childcare center *CAD Early Childhood students only* (instructions listed on the Forms webpage)
- Complete the CAD internship application and turn in by the stated deadlines.
- Receive approval of your internship application from the Department. The Department will provide detailed steps for securing your internship placement.
Complete steps 1 & 2 listed on ICCE’s website for Internships for Academic Credit.
- If you are attempting to conduct your internship at a site that is not already approved by ICCE, inform CAD to request if your site would be approved for the internship.
- Accept an internship offer by a site that has been fully approved ICCE.
- Inform CAD of your placement site for formal approval.
- Complete step 3 listed on ICCE’s website for Internships for Academic Credit.
- Complete TB and Livescan clearances and any other site-specific requirements.
- Enroll in CAD 600 and CAD 601.
- Begin your internship!
Students who are planning to take their internship during the Fall 2019 semester must complete and turn in the Child & Adolescent Development Internship Application by Friday, February 8th.
Step 1. Please complete the CAD Internship Application.
Step 2. Students will receive a confirmation email if their application was received.
Step 3. Applicants will receive an email to their SF State email address from firstname.lastname@example.org to notify them of acceptance/denial of their application. The email will also include next steps for how the applicant will proceed in obtaining an approved internship for Fall 2019.
Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact cad.sfsu.edu.