Prospective CAD Majors

Change of majors should submit their Change of Major Petitions to the CAD Dept. office.
Transfer students should apply to the university during that same time period and indicate that CAD is their first choice major. 


General Information About Applying to the CAD Major 

The CAD Department accepts only upper division students into the major, which means junior status with a minimum of 60 units completed.  Applicants who were accepted into the CAD major for a specific semester but failed to reach junior status at the start of that semester will be dropped from the major (effective Spring 2016).

In addition, applicants must have completed the following prerequisites for the major: CAD 210 Intro to Applied Child and Adolescent Development and CAD 260 Child, Family, and Community with a grade of C or better and ENG 214 Second Year Composition with a C- or better.  Applicants who were accepted into the major for the start of a specific semester but failed to complete these three courses successfully and without earning a minimum of 60 units, will be dropped from the major.  Please note:  Successfully completed community college equivalents for CAD210, CAD 260, and ENG 214 are accepted.


CURRENT SF State Students (also known as Change of Majors) - This information applies to current SF State students who wish change their major to CAD.  Pre-CAD students also will use this process to apply to the CAD major.  Applications to the CAD major can be submitted using the University's forms, please visit the Registrar's website for current Change of Major forms. Declaration/Change of Undergraduate Primary Major (less than 96 units completed). Be sure to state the concentration for which you are applying.  Current unofficial transcripts should be attached to the Change of Major form.  No supplemental application is required by the CAD Department.  Check the university Admissions website to verify dates. 

Change of Major Deadlines
Start Date of Major Dates to Submit Change of Major Request
Spring Term August 1st - October 1st
Fall Term January 1st - March 1st

Drop off completed forms with current transcripts at the CAD Department office in SCI 394.  Late applications are not accepted.

The admission criterium for Change of Majors is primarily grade point average.  Students who have completed a two year Metro Academy Program at SF State receive credit for that participation.  The CAD Department notifies applicants of their admission status via SF State email address only.


TRANSFER Students - Please see Undergraduate Admissions for SFSU application form, dates and deadlines.  The application period for fall semester is Oct. 1-Nov. 30 and applications are submitted to the university Admissions Office.  Select CAD as your primary major.  No supplemental application is required by the CAD Department.  Transfer students who wish to apply for spring semester should follow the same process.  The application period for spring semester applicants is August 1-31.



After the application period has closed, the university Admissions Office reviews applications to determine who has met university admissions requirements to attend SF State.  When that process is complete, the CAD Department Admissions Committee receives a list of qualified transfer applicants from the Admissions Office who requested the CAD major. The CAD Department admissions criteria are grade point average, first generation college status, financial need, and SB1440 transfers. Once the department screening process has been completed, applicants are notified if they are admitted or not admitted to the CAD major by the university Admissions Office.  Applicants who are not admitted to CAD but were accepted to SF State automatically are enrolled in their second choice major.

Please Note:  Current CAD majors who wish to change their concentrations can submit a Declaration/Change of Major form to the CAD Department office at any time. This request to change concentrations should be accompanied by a personal statement about the reason for the request.

The Change/Declaration of Major form is on the CAD website, Forms, or on the university Registrar's website.


Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When should I apply to the CAD Department  as a transfer student?

It depends upon the semester for which you are applying. If you want to transfer for a fall semester, plan to apply the previous October 1-November 30. This means you must apply to the university between Oct. 1- Nov. 30 of the previous year. If you want to apply for a spring semester, you will need to apply August 1-31.  

2. What are the requirements for admission to the CAD major as a transfer student?

Complete ENG 214 or equivalent with a grade of C- or better.
Complete CAD 210 and CAD 260 or equivalent with grade of C or better.

3. What are the requirements for admission to SF State as a transfer student?

  • Grade point average of at least 2.0 (C or better) in all transferable units attempted. Nonresidents must have a 2.4 grade point average or better. Note: Applicants from outside of SF State’s six county service area may be held to different requirements.
  • Good standing at last college or university attended
  • Completed at least 60 transferable semester units of college course work with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher
  • Grade of C or better in each course used to meet CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking and quantitative reasoning, e.g. mathematics.
  • The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses which meet CSU general education requirement including all general education requirements in communication in English language - one course in written communication, one course in oral communication, and one course in critical thinking; and one course in mathematics/quantitative reasoning OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

4. Can I transfer to SF State before I earn upper division status? 

No. SF State does not accept lower division transfer students.

5. What is the maximum number of units I can transfer to SFSU?

No more than 70 semester units may be transferred to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, e.g., community colleges. Given the university’s 30-unit residency requirement, no more than 90 total units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

6. How can I double check to see which of my community college General Education courses will transfer to SF State?

General Education:  General education requirements are the same for all CSU campuses, so California community college articulations of general education courses (about one third of degree requirements) are handled centrally and may be accessed at

7. What is articulation?

Articulation:  Campuses may enter into articulation agreements on either a course for course or program to program basis. Such articulations are common between CSU campuses and any or all of the California community colleges, but may exist between CSU campuses and other institutions. Established CSU/CCC articulations may be found on


Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact