Graduation Application Process for CAD Students Graduating in 2020 - Updated 3/17/2020
- Visit the SF State Registrar’s Office website for detailed steps on how to apply for graduation.
- Submit your intent to graduate online in your Student Center. Please note, if you submit your intent online by March 20, 2020, your name will be published in the commencement booklet.
- After submitting your intent to graduate, please submit an electronic copy of your graduation application from your SF State email account to firstname.lastname@example.org. No wet or paper signature (i.e. signed with pen on paper, the old-fashioned way) is needed for forms that are submitted via an SF State email account. Please note, students with a minor/second major will need to submit the completed page to the department where they are earning the minor/major.
- CAD faculty advisors will be assigned to review and approve graduation applications. If any corrections are needed, you will be notified and asked to make modifications. The application will be reviewed again by the same CAD faculty advisor and signed if all information is accurate. The department chair reviews, approves, and signs the application after the faculty advisor has signed it.
- Please check your email to receive notification from the CAD office staff on when your graduation application is approved. We highly recommend that you wait to pay the graduation application fee until after your application has been approved by the department chair.
- The department chair will send your approved graduation application form directly to the SF State Registrar’s Office via email.
- CAD students meet the university's Complementary Studies requirement and a CAD faculty advisor will initial in the box to indicate that they have met that requirement.
- The department approves only requirements for the CAD major. All other university requirements are checked by the SF State Registrar's Office. If students are unsure if they are meeting all university graduation requirements (e.g., General Education requirements), they should meet with an advisor at the Student Resource Center or Undergraduate Advising Center.
- The CAD department due dates are before the university deadline. The CAD department deadline allows time for the department to review applications and return them to students before the university deadline. Please do not contact CAD faculty advisors or schedule advising appointments to review graduation applications.
- Students who reapply for graduation for a different semester must submit another graduation application and pay the $100 fee again. There is a $5 late charge if turned in after the deadline.
- If students qualify for graduation by the designated graduation date, they may participate in the University's annual commencement ceremony. You can visit SF State’s Commencement website for more information.
There a multiple support services for completing your graduation application:
- Graduation Workshops – College of Health & Social Sciences
- CAD Graduation Workshops in CAD 600 courses (please check your syllabi or with your instructor if there will be a workshop in your course section).
Ceremonies & Celebrations
Dear Graduating CAD Students,
We hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy. As we approach the end of the semester, we are disappointed and heartbroken that we cannot celebrate in-person together at this time. We are very proud and excited for our graduates and look forward to celebrating with you in new ways than we had previously planned. Thank you to all the students and alum who provided us feedback to create meaningful ways to celebrate given the unprecedented challenges we face.
Below are some updates about how the CAD Department is currently planning to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of our students and how you can celebrate with your loved ones and our community. We will be sure to keep you informed and will provide more details along the way.
There are various virtual celebrations in which we encourage you and your loved ones to participate (CAD faculty & staff will be too!). Please save the dates!
June 6th, 2020:
YouTube's "Dear Class of 2020" Commencement Celebration
Michelle & President Barack Obama, BTS, Lady Gaga, and more will be speaking during the virtual graduation event to celebrat graduates, their families, and their communities. You can set a reminder for the event and sign your name on the "Shout Out Board." Please visit YouTube for details.
June 18th, 2020:
San Francisco State University's Commencement
Details about the ceremony are coming soon. Please continue to check your email and the Commencement website for details.
Caps & Gowns and Graduation Acceessories
Celebrate your special day in SF State Regalia!
For more information about rental pricing, purchasing pricing, and a (free) virtual cap and gown, please visit the SF State Commencement website.
Connect & Celebrate Virtually with your CAD Community
During the virtual celebrations, and your personal celebrations, stay connected and celebrate virtually with your CAD community!
Zoom or Google Meet
Schedule Zoom or Google Meet meetings with your classmates and loved ones while you watch the virtual commencement celebrations. Zoom is available for all SF State students, for more infomration please visit the SF State website. Google Meet is free for everyone, for more information please visit the Google Meet website.
CAD Virtual Background
CAD Alum have created Zoom backgrounds for you to use during your meetings. Please feel free to use the images as your Zoom virtual background! Since we can't go to Castro Theatre on the 16th, we wanted to bring the stage to you! Please check your email for the backgrounds or email email@example.com.
Tag us in your photos & follow us on Instagram! We would love to share your stories and photos.
Future In-Person CAD Student Recognition Ceremony
The Department of Child & Adolescent Development is monitoring San Francisco State University's plans for the future university-wide commencement ceremony, and when we are allowed to resume social events, to help us with planning for a future ceremony. At this time, we are hoping to have the class of 2020's CAD Student Recognition Ceremony in spring 2021.
We hope you and your loved ones will be able to join us! Please continue to check your email and this webpage for details and to stay in contact. If you have not already, please feel free to share your personal (non-SFSU) email address with our office to receive updates about the ceremony.
We look forward to celebrating with you virtually and congratulating you in-person in the future.
All the best,
CAD Faculty & Staff