Prospective CAD Majors


Effective Fall 2019, the Child & Adolescent Development program will no longer be impacted.

How to Apply

Current SF State Students

Please complete the Declaration/Change of Undergraduate Primary Major process on your SF State Gateway account to be accepted into the major. For step by step directions on how to change your major online, please view the CAD Change of Major Process Document. Please be sure to select the concentration for which you are applying. If you have any questions or concerns about changing your major, you can also visit the SF State Registrar's Office website for more details.


Transfer Students

Please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website for current and detailed information on how to apply to SF State and to view important dates and deadlines. Please note, when applying to SF State, please select Child & Adolescent Development as your primary major. Also, please be sure to indicate which concentration of CAD you would like to purse.


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. If I am a PRE-CAD Major, do I need to declare CAD as my major?
    Yes. Students that entered SF State their freshman year (Spring 2019 or earlier) as PRE-CAD Majors will need to declare CAD as their major. Please follow the steps listed above on how to change your major to CAD.
  2. What are the requirements for SF State admissions?
    Please visit SF State’s Undergraduate Admissions website for details on eligibility.
  3. Whom can I talk to about applying to SF State?
    Please contact Student Outreach Services.  Their contact information can be found here:
  4. Are there any CAD courses I can be enrolled in before I am accepted into the major?
    Yes. While there are no prerequisites to be accepted into the CAD major, there are prerequisite courses for some upper division CAD courses. We recommend completing the following courses as soon as possible:
    - CAD 210 (or equivalent) with a letter grade of 'C' or higher
    - CAD 260 (or equivalent) with a letter grade of 'C' or higher
  5. I am a current SF State student interested in the major and want to talk to an advisor, whom should I see?
    We highly recommend meeting with an advisor from the Student Resource Center. Due to the number of students in the major, CAD faculty advisors are only available to students accepted into the major. 
  6. What is the maximum number of units I can transfer to SF State?
    You may transfer no more than 70-semester units to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor's degrees or their equivalents, e.g., community colleges. Given the university's 30-unit residency requirement, you may transfer no more than 90 total units into the university from all sources.
  1. How can I double check to see which of my community college General Education (G.E.) courses will transfer to SF State?
    General education requirements are the same for all CSU campuses, so California community college articulations of general education courses (about one third of degree requirements) are handled centrally and may be accessed at