Community, Health, & Social Services

Adult and children working in a woodshop

Future career possibilities include:

  • Youth Program Leader
  • Youth Program Staff Care
  • Juvenile Probation Officer
  • Residential Treatment
  • Counselor
  • Social Worker
  • Nurse
  • Child Life Specialist
  • Youth Advocate
  • Mentoring Program Director

The B.A. in Child & Adolescent Development: Concentration in Community, Health, & Social Services is for students who wish to work primarily with children and​ families from birth through early​ adulthood in community, health,​ and social service settings.

Starting in Fall 2022, Community, Health, & Social Services is a new concentration title that is available for students to pursue. The previous Youth Work & Out of School Time concentration title is still available for current SF State CAD Youth Work & Out of School Time students.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Yes, you can request to change your major on your student center. View the Major & Minor Change Guide for steps on how to change your major.

If you have already completed CAD 450 in the CAD core major requirements, please email to request to course substitute CAD 450 for the new CAD 411 requirement.

You should declare the CAD Community, Health, & Social Services concentration.
We have provided recommended courses for students who want to pursue a future career as a Child Life Specialist on the CAD Major Planning Worksheets listed above.

If you want to work outside the classroom, we recommend reviewing the Community, Health, & Social Services concentration.

If you are still unsure, we recommend meeting with a CAD Faculty Advisor.

We recommend the Division of Graduate Studies. If you still have questions or concerns, we recommend meeting with a CAD faculty advisor.

Please visit our advising webpage.

Please visit SF State’s Undergraduate Admissions website for details on eligibility.

Please contact Student Outreach Services.

You may transfer no more than 70-semester units to a CSU campus from an institution which does not offer bachelor's degrees or their equivalents, e.g., community colleges. Given the university's 30-unit residency requirement, you may transfer no more than 90 total units into the university from all sources.

General education requirements are the same for all CSU campuses, so California community college articulations of general education courses (about one third of degree requirements) are handled centrally and may be accessed at ASSIST.

Yes – students can take articulated equivalents of some of the CAD major courses at California Community Colleges. You can visit the ASSIST website to view the articulation agreement between SF State and your specific Community College.  
For the Community, Health, & Social Sciences concentration, there are community college equivalent courses for CAD 210 and CAD 260.